The hubs and I joined the Lincoln Square Athletic Club this weekend and today I went for my first work out. It has been a LONG time since I’ve worked out. Walking the dog certainly counts, but it is not as strenuous and focused as working out at a gym.
After a five minute bike warm up, I did 15 minutes on an elliptical. The bike was hard at first. My knees were not used to that kind of motion but I took it easy and it got better as I went. The elliptical was harder because I wanted to go in at 100%. I am a person who likes to do very well at everything I attempt, so it was hard for me to go slower and shorter than I have in the past. I had to remind myself that I will be able to measure progress even if it is slower than I would like.
Here are some of my workout goals:
1. Increase time on cardio machine each week building up to 30 minutes at least three times per week.
2. Try a spin class.
3. Try a “Ballet Burn” class.
4. Continue to feel good about myself as I work towards a healthier body.
Now, here are some things I really like about this gym so far:
1. There are a lot of machines.
2. Each machine has a little cable TV.
3. They offer a lot of interesting classes at various times throughout the day.
4. THEY HAVE A POOL.
On Sunday, I will be trying my first water workout class. This is supposed to be the best kind of workout a person with arthritis can do because the water provides a lot of resistance, yet there is little to no pressure on the joints. Expect a post about this.
I’m very excited about this new addition to my lifestyle. No more sitting around being secretly jealous of my many friends who are fit and athletic!